ARTICLE 1. DEFINITION
- The Pyrenees Stage Run 2019 – hereinafter PSR 2019 – is a high-mountain stage race in the Pyrenees, starting in Ribes de Freser, finishing in Salardú and organized by BiFree.
- Participation in the PSR 2019 will be in teams of two or three persons.
- The PSR 2019 will be held from the 1st to the 7th of September 2019 in a route of about 240km and 15000m of positive gain.
ARTICLE 2. TERMS AND CONDITIONS FOR PARTICIPATION
- The participation in the race implies the acceptance of these rules.
- The minimum age to participate in the PSR 2019 will be 18 years old on the day of the start.
- The participant must print, fill out and bring signed on the collection of race bibs in Ribes de Freser the exclusion of liability and certificate of physical fitness, which can be found in ANNEX 1 of this regulations, where participants registered for the PSR 2019 state among other points, that they participate voluntarily, under its own responsibility, and under the physical and health requirements necessary to participate in an ultra race like this.
- It will be mandatory to present a valid medical certificate completed by a competent physician, informing that the participant is able to run ultra-distances in mountain environments. The certificate must have been made in the previous year before the start of the PSR 2019 (between the 1st of September 2018 and the 31st of July 2019) and must be uploaded to your private zone before the 31st of July 2019. The organization reserves the right to check the veracity of the data from it. See model in ANNEX 2 of this regulations (it does not have to be exactly this model but must contain at least the same information). The organization recommends the certificate to be accompanied by a stress test (ECG during effort) in order to assess correctly the runner’s condition.
- In the check-in for the PSR 2019 in the race bib collection at Ribes de Freser, the registered person must show a valid photo ID.
- The bib number must always be visible and located in the front of the runner.
- Runners must be properly trained to deal with the distances and vertical gain of the race.
- Participants must know how to use and follow the track of a GPS and be experienced in high mountain conditions with knowledge that allow them to calculate the partial distance and vertical gain during each stage. Participants must know how to orientate and understand a mountain topographical map in case of loss.
- Runners should be fully informed about what is the PSR 2019 and have the knowledge, experience, equipment and physical and psychological level needed to endure and overcome possible problems related to ultraendurance, slope, topography and wild environment of the event, such as fatigue, digestive problems, muscle and joint problems, bruises, minor injuries, cold, rain, snow, fog, heat, etc.
- Runners must have successfully completed all the steps and requirements of registration.
ARTICLE 3. REGISTRATION
- Registration can be processed only through the website of the organizer. Registration will only be considered valid when all members of the team have payed the 100% of the registration fee and the organizer have checked your data and compliance with all the conditions set out in these regulations.
- The maximum number of participants at PSR 2019 will be 100 runners (50 teams) to the Full Experience and 120 runners (60 teams) in total (the organization reserves 10 extra spots for commitments).
- In case of reaching the limit of participants, the organization will open a waiting list in order to create a sorted list by registration date, that will be used to fulfill the places spot that may become available in case of cancellation of the registration by a team.
- Registrations can be formalized from the 1st of November 2018 until the 30th of June 2019, as long as they have not reached the limit of participants provided in these rules.
- The basic services included in the registration are as follows:
- Participation to the race: bib number and timing
- Gift of participation to the PSR
- Medical service and runner insurance
- Between 2 and 3 food-stations along the route and at the finish of each stage
- Dinner from the 31st of August to the 7th of September (8 days)
- Runner’s guide (general information) with roadmap (maps and profiles) of each stage + GPS track of the route
- Luggage transport from one stage to another
- FINISHER gift (to all those who complete all stages of the PSR always arriving within the time limits)
- Optional services to registration:
- Optional hiring of the mandatory GPS (contact the organization if needed) (+50€).
- Optional hiring of a return bus from Salardú back to Ribes de Freser or Barcelona on the 8th of September in the morning (+35 €).
- Option to buy the Multimedia Pack with the “PSR Movie” and all the photos in high quality and without watermark (+50€).
ARTICLE 4. REGISTRATION FEE AND OPTIONS
Here are the prices of the different registration options. These prices may be subject to discounts and special offers that the organization consider.
- BASIC: With all the basic services of registration to the PSR 2019, it includes dinner from the 31st of August to the 7th of September (8 days) but does not include accommodation which must be managed by the participant = 660€ per runner (Taxes included).
- PREMIUM: With all the basic services of registration to the PSR 2019, it includes dinner from the 31st of August to the 7th of September (8 days) + hotel accommodation in shared double room with breakfast from the 31st of August to the 8th of September (8 nights) = 980€ per runner (Taxes included).
ARTICLE 5. CANCELLATION, REFUND AND CANCELLATION GUARANTEE
- Refunds for cancellation WITHOUT “cancellation guarantee”: registration may be cancelled independently of the reason with the following conditions:
- Refund of 75% of the total amount if the cancellation is until the 31st of May 2019.
- Refund of 50% of the total amount if the cancellation is between the 1st of June and the 31st of July 2019.
- Refunds for cancellation WITH “cancellation guarantee”: those who have purchased during registration a cancellation guarantee (additional cost of 45€) will receive a refund of 100% of the registration fee (not including the amount of the guarantee) provided that the cancellation is for a justified medical reason and presenting a medical certificate proving the cause that prevents the participation in the PSR 2019. This guarantee ends on the 31st of July 2019.
- In both cases, to request the cancellation it will be necessary to send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, being the date of reception the applied to establish the conditions of refund in accordance with these regulations.
- In any case, cancellations from the 1st of August 2019 will lose the total amount paid.
- If the cancellation affects only one of the team members, the vacancy will be reserved for 30 days so that another runner can register on the same team. If after this period the team is not completed (minimum 2 runners per team), or if you get to the deadline of the 31st of July, the team will lose all its registration rights and the organization will refund according to the conditions of cancellation in the date of reception of the cancellation.
ARTICLE 6. CANCELLATION OF THE EVENT
- If the organization decides to cancel the event due to lack of registrations, the total amount paid will be refunded.
- If the event has to be partially or totally cancelled due to a major cause that has nothing to do with the organization, the registration fees will be partially refunded. The amount refunded will depend on the amount that the organizer has already spent on non-refundable costs.
- The possibility of bad weather is part of the possible conditions to carry out the race and it will not be cause of cancellation of the event except in very extreme conditions that may seriously jeopardize the integrity of the participants.
ARTICLE 7. NEUTRALIZATION
- In case the day of the race, the forecasts are worse than those expected and are considered to put the runners in danger (such as electrical storm, lack of visibility, snow, ice, etc.), the start may be delayed by the organizers or it might be neutralized if it is already underway.
- If after a few hours conditions do not improve, that stage of the PSR 2019 could be suspended.
- In this case, the runners will wait at the checkpoint where they were stopped and wait for the indications of the organization in order to be evacuated.
ARTICLE 8. ROUTE
- The race mainly follows the GR 11 – Transpyrenees, a classic long-distance footpath that crosses the Pyrenees from sea to sea on its south side. The PSR 2019 will start in Ribes de Freser and finish in Salardú after 7 stages with finish/start in Queralbs, Puigcerda, Encamp (Andorra), Arinsal (Andorra), Tavascan, Esterri d’Àneu and Salardú.
- Five Natural Parks are crossed along the route: “Parc Natural de les Capçaleres Ter i Freser”, “Vall del Madriu-Perafita-Claror”, “Parc de les Valls del Comapedrosa”, “Parc Natural de l’Alt Pirineu” and “Parc Nacional d’Aigüestortes i Estany de Sant Maurici”. Participants undergo, like any other visitor, the rules governing these protected areas. The organization will provide riders the rules of these protected areas and are not responsible for the actions of the participants in its passage through these protected areas.
- Some sections are shared with traffic, therefore precautions must be taken at any time and traffic rules must be followed.
- The GR11 and paths that will follow the PSR 2019 are public and open to the rest of walkers and runners who want to transit through them; respect to the other users will be required at all times.
- A briefing explaining in detail the route of the next stage will be performed every day.
- For each stage there will be an alternative route at lower altitudes, as an alternative in case of bad weather. If there is the need of taking the alternative route, this will be reported during the briefing.
- The distance, profile, food-stations and time limits of each stage can be found on the website of the event https://psr.run.
- There might be surprise checkpoints (not announced in the website) carried out at any point of the route of any stage of the PSR 2019.
ARTICLE 9. MARKING
- The route of the race must be followed with a GPS (it can be a watch) device that will be mandatory for at least one of the team members. The route of the PSR 2019 will mainly follow the GR11 which is marked with the classical red and white paints of long-distance footpaths. Additional marking of the route will be made with ribbons, and more frequently in areas where the marks are difficult to follow or where the race route deviates from the GR11. This additional signaling may be interrupted at any Natural Park when this is a requirement in order to cross it.
- The 4th stage between Encamp and Arinsal will be called “ADVENTURE” and will not be marked, so you will need to follow only the GR11 marks and the GPS track.
- The organization will provide participants with the track of each stage, as well as alternative routes through a mail that will be sent a few days before the start of the race.
- Participants are responsible for downloading the track through the website https://psr.run, load it to the GPS device and check its proper functioning. Participants are also responsible for maintenance and battery charge of the GPS before each stage of the PSR 2019.
- It will be mandatory for each team to carry the roadmap for each stage (provided by the organization) and a compass to orientate and understand the map.
- Each day the organization will notify during the briefing the sections where the race route deviates from the GR11, in order to pay greater attention in these sections.
ARTICLE 10. SEMI-AUTONOMY AND FOOD STATIONS
- The race will be performed under semi-autonomy conditions, that is, each participant will be responsible for managing their own water and food needed to finish the route. The PSR 2019 is an event that demands a high physical and mental training, a correct management of your own strength, as well as water and food. In this respect, it is highly recommended to have previous experience in long-distance mountain races.
- However, the organization will provide two or three food-stations (depending on the length of the stage) with liquids and solids (they will be informed in the route section of the website). At the end of each stage there will always be a complete food-station for all participants.
ARTICLE 11. TIME LIMITS
- The time limits for each checkpoint will be published in our website and in the roadbook and will be based on an average speed of approximately 4 km/h (15’/ km).
- Participants reaching a checkpoint after the time-limit will be automatically disqualified from the stage. Howeverm, they can decide to complete the stage, but it will be under their own responsibility and provided that they hand the race bib to the responsible of the checkpoint.
- Disqualification because of time limit won’t mean the reimbursement neither total nor partial of the registration fee and won’t prevent the teams to participate in the following stage but they will no longer be considered “Finishers” of the PSR 2019.
ARTICLE 12. WITHDRAWAL FROM THE RACE
- Teams that decide to withdraw from the PSR 2019 must abandon at one of the checkpoints and notify the organization. Only a severe injury will be accepted as a reason to withdraw in a different point of the race, because this would imply either land or air rescue.
- The organization only guarantees transportation of participants to the finish of the stage, when they abandoned in a checkpoint with motorized access.
- The organization will not transport participants who have abandoned until the end of the stage, in order to ensure the optimal development of it.
- The organization guarantees the accommodation (in the same option selected during registration) at all stages in case of withdrawal but cannot guarantee transportation between stages.
- In case of abandonment of one of the members of the team:
- In the case of a team of two, the other is allowed to continue in the race whenever he/she goes always together with another team participating in the PSR 2019. The participant that continues in the race will be considered “Finisher” provided that he/she finishes all the stages under the conditions of this regulations but he/she will no longer be part of the official classification of the PSR 2019, as this will only be considered among the complet registered teams which started in the first stage of the PSR 2019.
- In the case of a team of three, the resulting team of two is allowed to continue and will be considered “Finishers” provided that they finish all the stages under the conditions of this regulations but they will no longer be part of the official classification of the PSR 2019, as this will only be considered among the complet registered teams which started in the first stage of the PSR 2019.
6. The organization and/or medical service may require a participant to abandon or force him to make a stop if they consider that he/she is in physical risk.
7. Withdrawal by any reason won’t mean the refund neither total nor partial of the registration fee.
ARTICLE 13. TEAMS, CATEGORIES AND PRIZES
- Registration can be made in teams of two or three runners. These teams may be mixed, men or women.
- The organization will never put together teams and there must be a previous mutual agreement and make the registration with the same team name. However, the organization published a section in the website for potential participants who are seeking a partner to run the PSR 2019 so they can contact each other.
- Participants of each team must be together at the start of the stage, all the checkpoints and at the finish. If one of the members of the team arrives two or more minutes earlier than the other member at any checkpoint or the finish, the team will receive a 60 minutes penalty in the classification. The second time this happens, the team will be disqualified from the event.
- Men Team
- Women Team
- Mixed Team
- Stage winners: medal to the top three finishers for each category at the finish of each stage of the PSR.
- Leaders: bib recognition to wear during the next stage to the leaders of each category classification at the end of each stage.
- Overall classification: trophy of the Pyrenees Stage Run to the top three finishers in the overall standings of each category at the end of the 7 stages in Salardú.
- All participants who finish the race within the time limit set will be recognized as “Finishers”.
ARTICLE 14. TIMING AND CLASSIFICATIONS
- General classifications will be calculated adding up the times of all the stages. The final winners will be the ones who have needed less time to complete all the stages of the route.
- In case that both participants don’t finish together but the time difference is less than two minutes, then the time of the last participant will be taken into account.
ARTICLE 15. MANDATORY AND RECOMMENDED EQUIPMENT
It is mandatory to carry the following equipment during the entire competition:
- Each runner must carry:
- Trail running shoes with a tread that is suitable for running in alpine terrain.
- Technical gear for protection from the elements (water-proof and warm), with the basic rule that you will see no skin and enough to face bad weather conditions that may suddenly appear in high mountain terrain.
- Drinking containers and/or hydration packs with a minimum capacity of 1.5L (full at the start).
- Warm gloves, bandana and warm hat.
- Cup to get drinks at food-stations (due to eco-responsibility no cups will be provided at food-stations for liquids).
- Rescue blanket.
- Food reserve enough (minimum 500 calories at the start of each stage) in order to face unforeseen conditions and taking into account that the race takes place in conditions of semi-autonomy.
- Whistle (the bag’s whistle is valid if it works correctly).
- Personal ID.
2. Each team must carry:
- GPS device (it can be a watch) with the track of the stage and a fully charged battery at the start of each stage.
- A mobile phone with a fully charged battery at the start of each stage and switch on during all the stage.
- First-aid kit to cure small injuries.
- Roadmap with the stage route and profile (the organization will hand this material to the runners at the check in).
- Tracking system provided by the organization.
3. Recommended but not mandatory equipment:
- Trekking poles.
- Water purification tablets.
- SPOT or another system of satellite localization.
- Headlamp in good working condition with fully charged batteries.
- Spare batteries for the headlamp.
- Anti-chafing cream.
ARTICLE 16. JURY, COMPLAINTS, SANCTIONS AND DISQUALIFICATIONS
- The persons authorized to sanction will be: responsibles of the organization of PSR 2019, doctors and those responsible for each food-station or checkpoint.
- List of infractions (not limiting) that may incur penalties (with time or disqualification) to those who break them:
- Breaking any of the points of these reglamentations.
- Using any kind of mechanical tranportation/propulsion (except from trekking poles).
- Leaving the marked route by the organization.
- Wearing the bib number hidden, bent or not clearly visible.
- Being accompanied by someone not registered to the race.
- Distance longer than 2 minutes between the members of the team.
- Getting help or provisioning from third parties (except in food-stations).
- Using non-authorised transportation during the route of the stage.
- Leaving garbage on the path.
- Any behaviour or attitude that damages or harms the environment (including too much noise).
- Showing unsportsmanlike practice.
- Missing any of the mandatory equipment at any time of the stage.
- Not aiding a person experiencing difficulties (injured, exhausted, hypothermia, etc.).
- Skipping a checkpoint.
- Any other offence to the rules or ethics of the race.
3. Each one of these offences can be accumulated as many times as it is made.
4. The organization will name a jury for the race. This will be responsible for the correct compliance of the regulations that rule this race, applying the sanctions and/or disqualifications needed according to this rules.
5. The jury can decide to establish as many checkpoints as it considers necessary in each stage, without previous notification and without previously informing their location.
6. The members of the jury will also be responsible to evaluate possible complaints regarding the classification, sanctions and/or disqualifications. Complaints should be addressed to at least one member of the jury during the 30 minutes after the team has completed the stage.
7. Disqualification won’t mean the refund neither total nor partial of the registration fee.
ARTICLE 17. INSURANCE
- When registering for the event, all participants are getting a sports accident insurance according with the Sports Act approved by Legislative Decree 1/2000 of July 31st and that meets the requirements of the Act a) Insurance liability; b) Compensation for anatomical loss, functional loss or death, and c) unlimited health care to the accorded medical centers.
- The organization is not liable and therefore the insurance shall not apply in case of illness, for any damage caused by carelessness or negligence of the participant, for breaching the laws, or for breaching of these regulations.
- The insurance will cover the participant only from the 1st to the 7th of September 2019.
ARTICLE 18. SAFETY AND MEDICAL ASSISTANCE
- There will be several medical and safety teams coordinated with the national 112 emergency services by the central direction of the PSR 2019.
- There will be mandatory medical examinations at some points along the course, which may be random or general. Refusal by the runner to cooperate or being disrespectful with the medical personnel may result in immediate disqualification.
- All participants will accept the medical decisions of the physicians and medical team, whose decision will prevail over all others. The physicians and caregivers may:
- Force to abandon any runner that they consider incapable of continuing, by invalidating their race bib number.
- Order the evacuation of any participant that they consider to be in danger.
- If necessary, order the hospitalization of a runner.
- The race direction will never question the judgment or decisions taken by the medical team. The organization will not be liable for any consequence derived of the disobedience of the orders of the medical team by a runner.
Emergencies during the race
5. All runners have the obligation to provide assistance to other participants in need, according to their own capacities and knowledge. Not doing so implies committing a serious punishable offence of “non-assistance to a person in need”.
6. In the event that the runner or a running mate cannot reach the next aid station due to a medical emergency or any other kind of emergency, the following instructions must be followed:
1. If there is mobile network: Dial the telephone number appearing on the roadmap, describe the situation and follow the instructions.
2. If there is NO mobile network: Dial 112 and inform them as follows:
1. You participate in the PSR2019.
2. Your location (approximate).
3. Problem or medical emergency affecting you or your running mate.
4. Name and race bib number of the person affected (your own or that of your mate if you are assisting him/her).
7. It is important to consider that most of the course of the PSR 2019 goes through remote areas only accessible by foot. This implies that the medical/rescue teams might take a long time, even hours, to bring aid or rescue in case of need. Therefore, the following instructions must be followed:
1. Move to a point where there is mobile network, so you can be in permanent contact with the race director. Do so ONLY IF IT IS POSSIBLE and NEVER LEAVING THE ROUTE.
2. Be accurate when describing the situation: different types of resources will be mobilized based on the information you provide when requesting assistance, so it is important that this information is as accurate as possible.
3. Do NOT leave the route; otherwise it would be very difficult to locate you.
4. When planning your gear, you should prepare yourself for situations of very slow pace or even of long wait in adverse weather conditions.
5. Always inform about any change occurring between the moment of the phone call and your location by aid teams.
ARTICLE 19. FAMILY AND FRIENDS
- The organization will provide participants the opportunity to register family and friends who wish to follow them during the PSR and sharing dinner and/or accommodation with them. This option is only available for family and friends of registered runners and the name of the runner must be indicated in the registration form.
- Registration of family and friends can be processed only through the website of the organizer. Registration will only be considered valid when the 100% of the registration fee and the organizer have checked your data.
- Registrations can be formalized from the 1st of November 2018 until the 30th of June 2019.
- Registration fee and options for the Family & Friends package:
Here are the prices of the different registration options. These prices may be subject to discounts and special offers that the organization consider.
- BASIC: It only includes the dinner from the 31st of August to the 7th of September (8 days). It does not include accommodation, breakfast, lunch and transportation, which must be managed by you = 150€ per person (Taxes included).
- PREMIUM: It includes dinner from the 31st of August to the 7th of September (8 days) + hotel accommodation in shared double room with breakfast from the 31st of August to the 8th of September (8 nights). It does not include lunch and transportation, which must be managed by you = 430€ per person (Taxes included).
5. Cancellation, refund, cancellation guarantee and cancellation of the event:
1. Refunds for cancellation WITHOUT “cancellation guarantee”: registration may be cancelled independently of the reason with the following conditions:
1. Refund of 75% of the total amount if the cancellation is until the 31st of May 2019.
2. Refund of 50% of the total amount if the cancellation is between the 1st of June and the 31st of July 2019.
2. Refunds for cancellation WITH “cancellation guarantee”: those who have purchased during registration a cancellation guarantee (additional cost of 25€) will receive a refund of 100% of the registration fee (not including the amount of the guarantee) provided that the runner to which the registration is linked, presented a medical certificate proving the injury that prevents his/her participation in the PSR 2019. This guarantee ends on the 31st of July 2019.
3. In both cases, to request the cancellation it will be necessary to send an email to email@example.com, being the date of reception the applied to establish the conditions of refund in accordance with these regulations.
4. In any case, cancellations from the 1st of August 2019 will lose the total amount paid.
6. Cancellation of the event policies are the same as those stipulated in article 6 of this regulation.
7. The companions of the runner implicitly accept articles 20, 21, 22 and 23 of this regulation on image rights, data protection, jurisdiction and modification respectively, which apply equally to both runners and companions.
ARTICLE 20. IMAGE RIGHTS
- Image rights are recognized in Article 18.1 of the Spanish Constitution and regulated by Law 5/1982, of May 5th on the right to one’s honor, personal and familiar privacy and to one’s image; and also by the provisions of Organic Law 15/1999 of December 13th on Personal Data Protection.
- Accepting the present regulations mandatorily involves that the participant/family&friends authorizes BiFree to take photographs and filming their participation in the PSR 2019. In addition, the participant consents the publication, commercial and advertising exploitation of the images taken during the PSR 2019 -including those images in which the participant is clearly identifiable- without any right of economical compensation for the runner/family&friends. Images will not be used for any other purposes than those stated before.
- All the participants/family&friends waive their image rights during the PSR 2019.
ARTICLE 21. PERSONAL DATA RIGHTS
- In accordance with the provisions of the Organic Law 15/1999 of December 13th on Personal Data Protection, the participant’s and family&friend’s personal data will be included in a private folder owned by the organization. The data will be used for the management, organization, realization and communication of sport events, publication of results and ensuring the safety of participants. The data will be used by the organizers and other companies or organizations collaborating with the management of the race like insurance, medical service, registrations and classification management and others.
- Participants and family&friends are responsible of the veracity and accuracy of the data provided and they may exercise their rights to access, rectify, cancel or oppose their personal data in accordance with the Organic Law 15/1999 December 13th. In order to exercise their rights, the may send an email to the address firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The data waive is effective from the the moment of registration to the event.
ARTICLE 22. STATUTE OF LIMITATION
- Any claim by the participant/family&friends towards the organizer BiFree, irrespective of its legal ground, shall be statute-barred after one year from the contractually specified end of the event. The legal and contractual relationship between the participant/family&friends and BiFree shall be entirely subject to spanish law. The legal place of jurisdiction for any settlement of dispute(s) is Girona, Spain.
ARTICLE 23. MODIFICATION OF REGULATIONS
- Registration for the event either as a participant or accompaniant implies understanding and accepting these rules and regulations at the moment of registration to the event.
- The content of this regulation may be amended if the organizer finds it necessary for the correct development of the event.
- In case of any relevant modification, it will be duly informed through the web.